Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Leave No Child Inside by Richard Louv

This reminds me of Thoreau essay. Not because it has involves the environment but it points out the lack of activity we as people take part in as playing outside. I always like to refer back to other things I’ve read. Anyways, I agree with him that children are not outside as much as they use to be. You can see the difference back to, what, twelve years ago when I was a kid. That to me is a really short time. I look at kids that are ten or even seven and my jaw drops about their style of clothing—I think: How can a person play in that?
I had a friend say to me, as girls, that we all go through a tomboy age, were we just run around outside and get dirty. I hardly see anyone doing that anymore. I’ll have to say though after moving to Florida I rarely went outside. I was surprise when I first went down here in 8th grade that we couldn’t go outside during our lunch break and play.
I think that a lot of problem with the kids behavior and health problem would lessen if we had more kids outside playing, exploring and enjoying being kids. I was a health kid and I was always outside, I still go outside and listen or take a walk when I’m depress, and I still sometime feel trapped if I can even see outside. {It’s true, I hate when we have to put up our shutters, or my room is so dark or a place with no windows.. I go insane}. I don’t think it matters what type of ecosystem you’re in, wither it’s dirt or green, each environment is fun and important. I prefer piles of sands and desert like place.
I like the idea of outside classes, for a class that has to do with the environment. I cannot see a math class being conducted outside as I can a Science class, or depending on what writing they’re studying an English class.
Over all, I enjoy this essay. I enjoy that it didn’t bring in the ‘bad’ developer or builders as most essays on the topic would. I love the last part to quote it one more time:
“Developers and environmentalists, corporate CEOs and college professors, rock stars and ranchers may agree on little else, but they agree on this: no one among us wants to be a member of the last generation to pass on to its children the joy of playing outside in nature.”

No comments: