Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's Time to Ban Handguns by Lance Morrow

I really truly with a deep passion hate some topics. The ‘anti-guns’ topic is one of those topics. I always get angry when reading topics like this that I can’t help but digress away from the actually writing. So, please, excuse me if I get off topic. In the essay she uses words to paint very vivid images of how ‘evil’ guns are. She puts up little facts like those country that ‘ban hand guns.’ Have lower crime rate. Yet, I believe that we aren’t the highest crime rate. It shows how data can be put out there to support one end or the other.
I think what I found most offense is this comment “Most murders are done on impulse, and handguns are perfectly responsive to the purpose: a blind red rage flashes in the brain and fire a signal through the nerves to the trigger finger—“ To me, this is saying ‘ People can’t handle guns because they all act on impulse. I just have a hard time having someone tell me I can’t protect myself because I might get mad and shoot someone.
She had also mention list of people shot, but I believe wither there were hand guns are not, those people who had been shot by something else.
I believe Gun free zones do nothing but put other people in danger, I believe that a gun is a tool used to protect someone.
She had also mention the fact that ‘so many’ people want no guns, yet this isn’t a popular vote issue, it is an amendment that gave us the right to.
This has a lot of personal opinion in the topic and despite my hate for her view the essay was well done.

1 comment:

Karina said...

This is one of the most controversial topics, and I believe it's really hard to pick a side because there are good reasons to ban them but there are also good reasons why we should keep them around. Personally I think that complete banning of hand guns wouldn't really solve anything, all the wrong people would still get to them like they do now. I think that we should have more restrictions be put on hand guns and not sell them off so easily. I also didn’t like the way the author was very closed-minded about the topic and didn’t really mention the good that a hand gun can also be.