Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Argument Culture by Deborah Tannen

There is a lot of truth to this essay. We debate all the time. I believe we are an argument culture. The humor of it is, I try-not very well- not to debate a lot . I find it pointless. He mention that at a point we ‘distort facts’. I agree, we do, and it’s one of the reasons why I believe debating has no impact on us. We all end up debating what we believe or our ‘feelings’ rather than the hard cold facts. I agree that it waste valuable times and sadly I have to agree that it will encourage us to lie. Look at the debates and you hear people say ‘Oh he lies,’ or so on and so on.
I noticed we do like to pin sides, that there’s only the ‘other’ side. He says we should mention that there are more than two sides.
On a random note: I noticed again the attack on poor technology. That it isolates people in a bubble. Or it enhances aggression. I sometimes just feel sorry for all the attacks on technology that helps our lives and even allow me to do this assignment. Why is it that people feel the need to blame a tool for their anti-social behavior?
In general, this essay has a lot of good points. It was well written and I liked how the writer divided everything.

1 comment:

Apple said...

I like the fact you brought up a subject in the passage I highlighted but did not mention in my own blog. The matter of a person lying in order to stick with their original argument was very true to what I see in everyday life. I will admit I sometimes come to the edge of my side where I am encouraged to lie before I dare jump to the side of truth as well do many other people. It’s a ridiculous characteristic of human nature to save the ego and pride instead agreeing with someone once you realize they are correct. Also, in accordance to your random note I would have to agree. Technology should not be blamed for the lack of people’s social life in reality that has been placed with a virtual-reality.