Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Walking On by Henry David Thoreau

“Give me a wildness whose glance no civilization can endure,--as if we lived on the marrow of koodoos devoured raw.”
I had study Thoreau before and I would have to say I enjoy him. In his writings I can agree with him on some views of humankind he has. For example, he explains are materialistic views. He denials and bluntly bash on how materialistic people are. Through his writing, Thoreau strongly puts down what he believes and what we should do. He had said that this materialistic view is not for him, “Hope and the future for me are not in lawns and cultivated fields, not in towns and cities, but in the impervious and quaking swamps.”
In this essay, he mentions the wrong of what society becomes that we don’t interact with nature, that instead we stay in our homes closet to unnecessary material when we have all just outside in the wild. I would like to think I could do the same, to give up my entire assets and go live in a wild without all my things that make my life comfortable. However, I just do not know what I would do without my computer. Never the less, I do agree with Thoreau that humans are too materialistic.

1 comment:

rachel groening said...

I agree with what Cori is saying, Thoreau is a very descriptive writer. He would saying anything to get his point across. In this piece his point is that he feels as though that people are to materialistic and need to be part of nature. He pretty much was rambling on about nature and how us as humans need to appreciate what there is and that we don't. I agree that he things that we need to stop being so materialistic and start worrying more about nature.