Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Once More to the Lake by E.B. White

Once More to the Lake was a descriptive. I could just picture the lake that the father remembered and took his son to. I think the short story was put together beautifully. The way White went back and forth from the father’s childhood experience and from watching his son go through the same experience. The way White wrote the remembering story you could feel the emotion that the father felt toward the lake.
Once More to the Lake made me think of any special place that my family use to go. This made me of the time when I was visiting my grandparents’ house in California. It been years since I last been there, and when I was there, I could remember every detail of the house and how it changed. In short, White used the basic way of how a person would remember a favorite place. White did a great job at making the paper real.
“It is strange how much you can remember about places like that once you allow your mind to return into the grooves that lead back.” That statement is so true, and I’m sure if I went back to any place and see landmarks I would be able to remember the place.

1 comment:

Christopher Goolsby said...

I enjoyed this story, too. I agree with you how when you go back to a place that you remember everything about it once you get there. I also thought this story was a descrpition of the eprfect father-son relationship because of how White kept feeling so connected with his son. Especially in the last line where he felt the "chill of death".